Thursday, May 29, 2014

Crossing the Channel

Let us now return to the channel crossing.  It was storming on the 4th and 5th of June so the invasion was held up one day by General Eisenhower.  We spent an extra day aboard the LCT where I was in charge of two squads.  Our anti-aircraft half tracks had been well-waterproofed so we had no doubt we would make it fine.  Some of us slept, some of us talked and some of us got seasick crossing the English Channel in the open landing craft.  (Dal Estes - Tracks Across Europe)


My "crossing" was a bit easier, thanks to the power of United Airlines and the Boeing 777 I flew upon. My "landing" was a bit easier thanks to the graciousness and kindness of a stranger. Although seventy years has gone by since the invasion, I was reminded that many Europeans will never forget what the Allies did.

This past New Year's Eve day (2013)  I was searching on the internet for a place for my siblings and I to stay in Paris, prior to our journey to Normandy.  I've had good luck using apartments in Europe in the past, so decided with four of us it might be good to go that route.  I was online and found this beautiful two bedroom, two bath apartment in the 6th Arrondisment in Paris, near St. Germain.   I reached out to the owner via email and said something along the lines of, "My siblings and I are coming to France for the 70th anniversary of DDay (our Dad landed on Omaha), we would like to stay in Paris a few days before, and are interested in your apartment.  Can you please let me know if it's available. Thank you!"

Within 30 minutes, I received the response below:

Not to be overly dramatic, but I teared up and had goosebumps at the same time.  I was flabbergasted. Who does that?   It turns out that Manuela and her husband are both students of history and have been to Normandy several times. She is absolutely sincere in her appreciation towards the men who liberated Europe.  In return, I am sincere in my gratitude back to her, not just for the savings on the lodging (which was very generous), but mostly for acknowledging our Dad in such a kind and unexpected way.

We, the Estes kids, have always been the beneficiaries of the authentic and giving lives our parents led.  As I sit here in this beautiful, quaint apartment in the center of Paris, I'm reminded again of how lucky we are.  Thanks, Dad.

Next Blog Up:  467th Day Report - Lead up to DDay.  

After that, Dal Estes' Manuscript of DDay, in 3 parts.  (It's amazing)

No comments:

Post a Comment