Sunday, June 1, 2014

Waiting to Go - Times 2

The Following Is an Excerpt From The National WWII Museum/Education Center

Waiting To Go:

"The waiting for history to be made was the most difficult.  I spent much time in prayer.  Being cooped up made it worse.  Like everyone else, I was seasick and the stench of vomit permeated our craft." --Pvt. Clair Galdonik, 359th Infantry Regiment, US 90th Division

D-Day was scheduled for June 5, 1944.  But on the eve of the invasion, as the air and sea armada began to assemble, a storm arose in the English Channel.  It threatened the success of the operation.

At 6:00am on June 4, Eisenhower decided to postpone the invasion for at least one day, hoping for better weather on June 6.

For the next 24 hours the men of the Allied invasion force remained sealed aboard their ships. Cramped and tense, they waited.  At their bases in England, the pilots and airborne troops also marked time. Everything depended on the weather and the decision of the man in charge of Overload, General Eisenhower.

On the Continent the Germans were confident that the storm in the Channel would postpone any planned Allied invasion.  Rommel took the opportunity to return to his home in Germany to visit his family.

In the early hours of June 5, Eisenhower pondered the weather reports and the conflicting advice of his inner circle of advisers.  
(National WWII Museum/Education Center)

As a history buff, I have always loved hearing General Eisenhower's speech to the troops on the eve of DDay.  If you have never heard it, and are so inclined....check out the link below. When I listen to it I try to imagine what that message, delivered at that hour to troops waiting to cross the English channel.  I want to believe it was received with great pride and provided even a modicum more of motivation, (as if they needed it).   Our Dad never mentioned hearing or seeing Eisenhower's words as he waited, sealed on the ship with his men.  They spent a lot of time resting in, on top of and under the jeeps and halftracks.  Because Dad was a student of history and was so detailed with everything else related to that day, the general consensus in my family is that he never actually heard or saw Eisenhower's message.  Because we never thought to ask, we will never know for sure.

Present Day: June 3, 2014
Although we enjoyed our few days in Paris, I too, feel like I was waiting to get to Normandy, albeit in a very different, simple and easy manner.  Unlike the troops must have felt, I have been looking forward to this experience for decades; a chance to experience Omaha Beach, a place that uniquely defined our Dad and collectively defined our world.  I remember growing up and hearing his stories. At a younger age I didn't understand the significance.  During puberty, I'm sure I didn't care.  Later, in my 20's or so, I "got it" and understood what it all meant. Since then, I have really wanted to be here, in Normandy, on June 6th.

As we made the drive west from Paris today, I couldn't help but think about how similar, but very different the terrain must have looked back then.  Obviously there was no interstate highway between Paris and Normandy, no road signs, no petrol stations.  Just small towns and fields of wheat and hay, which still survive today. The rolling landscape is green and lush.  A look out into the distance provided views of small French villages with charming remnants of old buildings, contrasted with new construction. Time has clearly moved on.   If there was any question of why we are here, flashing road signs warned us multiple times that roads in Normandy (or Normandie, as it's written in French) would be shut down on D-Day.

Our drive today brought us to Honfleur, Normandy. Honfleur sits in the Calvados region and is known for its cidre and the picturesque port, which was the subject of many famous French painters.  It turns out that  Honfleur has s a bit of DDay history too.  On June 6, 1944, all of the boats in the beautiful Honfleur harbor were destroyed by the Germans.  This boat below, the "Sainte Bernadette" is the only one that survived, although extensive rebuilding had to be done.

Tomorrow, June 4th, we leave for Omaha Beach.  Ironically just like 70 years ago, the forecast calls for rain and wind. The weather notwithstanding, I know we will receive a warm welcome when we arrive. For the past 20 years I have heard about the family Lebrec.  Tomorrow, I get to meet them.

Daniel and Martine Lebrec hosted Dad, and my brother Dave the first time in 1994, for the 50th anniversary of D-Day. Since then, they have invited our family as their guests for the 59th and 60th anniversaries and a few times in between.  The Lebrecs have a long history in Normandy, beginning in 1925.  Their property sits right ON Omaha beach, halfway between St. Laurent sur Mer and Vierville sur Mer, France.   Their family home was destroyed by the Germans in 1944.  In 1961 they rebuilt three identical villas on the family plot.  As it's been described to me, their home is a large, with three stories of living space and has a picture window overlooking the English channel, where in previous celebrations my Dad watched the ships gather for the celebrations.  I can only imagine how different THAT perspective was for him.

Dad made several great friends on those return trips to Normandy.  Friendships that have extended to our whole family.  The Lebrec's, Musee D'Day Omaha Owners - Daniel and Catherine Chartier and the Mayor of St. Laurent sur Mer.  Dad had a deep respect and gratitude towards all of them.  The feeling was clearly mutual.  

On the night before Dad's visitation, late December of 2005, there was a knock on my Mom's front door.  As you would expect, our whole family was together, having a cocktail and no doubt laughing through our tears - as Dad would have wanted.  My sister answered the door and yelled for Mom. Standing there was a local florist delivery man who knew our family well.  He was holding a white metal stand from which hung the BIGGEST floral wreath I have ever seen in my entire life.  Seriously, it had the circumference of a large tire.  "Betty", he said, "I know it is unusual bringing this to the house, but the person who ordered it insisted I deliver it here before taking it to the church.  He said it was customary in their culture."  I remember my Mom responding inquisitively, "their culture??".  Just then I looked and saw the gold letters adhered to the red ribbon on the front of the wreath.   They were in French.  Thankfully I have two siblings who are fluent and although I don't remember which one translated it, I will never forget what they said.  The card read - "To Our Liberator and Dear Friend, We Will Never Forget".  It was from Daniel and Martin Lebrec, Daniel and Catherine Chartier and the people of St. Laurent sur Mer France.  I can't wait to thank them in person.

Postscript:
That ribbon and card are now on exhibit at the Livingston County War Museum.  The Museum is located in Pontiac, Illinois and is "A living hands on museum founded to recognize the sacrifice and service of all US Military Veterans from Livingston County and Central Illinois.  It was founded by my Dad, Dal Estes and Neil Bach, another WWII Vet.
More information on the Livingston County War Museum can be found at:
www.livingstoncountywarmuseum.com


General Eisenhower's Speech To The Troops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J_FoO--Z-c

NEXT UP: Dal Estes's Memories and Manuscript of the D-Day Landing in Three Parts.  Tomorrow, D-Day Part 1.  















2 comments:

  1. Ebus, I worked with your Mom for several years at the prison and was friends with both of your parents for many, many years. They would both be so proud of this trip you are making with your siblings on this important anniversary and it's wonderful of you to share this journey with all of us via your blog. Thank you so much for that and thanks to both our fathers for their service to our country in WWII. Peggie (Parker) Boldt - Pontiac, IL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your wonderful blog several years after you posted so I am hoping perhaps you still read comments. Thank you.

    My Dad was also in the 467th AAA Battery A and I had previously blogged about my trip back with him at the 50th anniversary of the D-Day landing. You should be able to find it here in case your are interested.


    http://returntodday.blogspot.com/

    I also mapped out in google earth the maps of the 467th campaign as I had a record of Battery A assignmnets and towns by date,etc.

    ReplyDelete